Buddhists stole my clarinet... and I'm still as mad as Hell about it! How did a small-town boy from the Midwest come to such an end? And what's he doing in Rhode Island by way of Chicago, Pittsburgh, and New York? Well, first of all, it's not the end YET! Come back regularly to find out. (Plant your "flag" at the bottom of the page, and leave a comment. Claim a piece of Rhode Island!) My final epitaph? "I've calmed down now."

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

It's OK, Morning Joe

I've been having a bit of fun with "Morning Joe" Scarborough on his use of a four letter word on air. Today it's time to let him off the hook. Yep, many of us have let slip with something we wish we wouldn't have. Certainly not all of us. But many.

Joe had a slip of the tongue and I called him out on it, as did many other bloggers and columnists. Why? Because Joe had been so unrelentingly tough on others who had a slip of the tongue.

When commercial television is happy to run ads on erectile dysfunction during a family show that I'm watching with my child, then I'm not sure when and how the FCC can step in anywhere, really. I find it interesting that there is "parental controls" for televsion shows, but not for commercials, many of which are more offensive than some of the offending television shows.

But Morning Joe for the longest time found no quarter with any slips, such as those from Bono or Cher... something a bit different than planned out profanities or sex scenes. In fact, I blame my generation who started MTV and came of age as Executives of Television networks. Fox is the worst of the bunch, having expanded mores from its inception... followed by the astounding establishment of its antithesis, Fox News... which never comments on the loose morals of the Fox Network.

So, Morning Joe. you don't have to say it ain't so. I'm giving you a freebie. You meant it. You just didn't know you were on air. And I'm forgiving of missteps. Perhaps you'll do the same.

Addendum:

I watched this morning's Morning Joe... no, not for a potential slip of the tongue... although Mourning Mika provides many herself, albeit non-profanity laced.

I was happy to hear Joe's very pragmatic, non-ideological take on the bailout of the car companies. I quite agreed with him. Certainly, no bailout should happen with the same people remaining at the top, since they've gotten us into this mess. However, as Joe stated, American workers are great and should not have to suffer for the misdeeds of their inept CEO's.

His second take of making the bailout contingent on 1) replacing inept management; and 2) requirement of a Manhattan Project-type program of hunkering down to design cars that are visually desireable, and more importantly, green - whether it be better gas mileage or entirely new modes of propulsion.

Kudos, Morning Joe

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home